Monday 24 October 2016

Event 33 of #fortyb4forty

The Great South Run - one of the South's biggest running events every year, with thousands of people taking part for different reasons.

My preparations for the event included doing my nails using nails wraps from Jamberry that I thought were amazingly apt!! I even put one on a toe, joking it would make me go faster!! 

I had also met up with a former colleague during the week, who I had recently got back in contact with, from my last workplace and her mum had passed away from PSP last year. So yesterday I was not running just for Nan, but for her mum, Carol, who I had also worked with


Anyhow, this time last year this was my 5th of the current challenge. And to be honest I was pretty downhearted with the time and the actual run itself. I didn't enjoy it.

Fast forward to yesterday. The weather was beautiful. I was starting the race with two running buddies and I was looking forward to the event. I even remembered to take Hope with me.


And suddenly we're at the start. The sun is shining, and although the wind had been slightly cold, it didn't take long to warm up. I kept up with my running buddies for the first 5 miles maintaining a 3 min run, 30 second recovery walk. It was surprising how quickly that recovery walk would pass. I then did my own race. The wind wasn't that bothersome except in one area. The atmosphere was brilliant the whole way round, I was looking forward to the residential area near the end where last year they have music on loud speaker and just loads of encouragement. I do remember thinking at one point that I am not entering next year's event, even if the tantalising offer of early bird was available!!! 

The end is in sight!! And that is always the part I struggle with. I have no idea why. It's so nice to see familiar familiar faces in the approach and it really is a boost to keep going. I cross the finish line with an official time of 2 hours 24 seconds. This is 7 mins faster than last year so this really has made my day although I am ever so slightly disappointed that 25 seconds faster and I'd have had a sub 2 hour time for the course. Clearly, doing my nails had had a positive effect........

Seeing some running club buddies after crossing the finish line to give me a hug was amazing. I was exhausted and probably could have just burst into tears. But it was also nice to get a finish line photo from them :-) 


Today I am exhausted!! Knowing I pushed myself yesterday is satisfying particularly with the result that it achieved for me. Yet, I have two children to entertain. 

I have 7 events left to complete this challenge. It's possible it could happen before the end of the year. I'm not sure when next event is but I'm sure it'll be soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment